I am currently reading "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis. This book is awesome and so inspirational. Over the past week, I have spent my evenings in my bed smiling and crying and longing to read more. This book has made my evenings wonderful and my mornings harder lately. Through Katie's story, I have found myself with a whole new prayer. Katie is a girl who had everything but left it all to set out on a journey of faith, love and courage. Her trust and perseverance has inspired me. Her love for people has left me with a longing to love as well.
I have been struggling over the past few months with a calling I feel has been laid on my heart. My heart is in Haiti and I want nothing more than to be planning a trip back so that I can run to the people who have my heart and embrace them with God's love. But God has called me somewhere else. Colombia. When this occurred to me I was very hesitant. I was worried about so many things and needed confirmation (how's that for being human.) Well after tons of prayer and this book, I signed up for the trip. And God didn't stop there. I will also be going on a trip to Guatemala later on this year. (Sometimes I think God has a little bit of a sense of humor...I struggled with saying yes once so He made me say yes twice!) For a long time I was so caught up in school and getting into the nursing program and everyday life, that I feel I began to forget why I'm even going to school. God called me years ago to give my love and skills to those who need them most. So here I am taking on another adventure because my God said so.
In Katie's book she talks about her favorite verse (conveniently my favorite verse as well). Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." She then goes on the explain that "it is not about God making my dreams come true but about God changing my dreams into His dreams for my life. By doing what He asks of me and by saying yes to the needs He places in front of me, He is changing the desires of my heart and aligning them with the desires of His heart." She opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at this verse. This verse all of a sudden became something that meant more to me than it had before. I have known my purpose was missions for a long time but after reading this my thoughts began to change drastically. I know what I expect to happen for my life..the typical get married, have a career, have children and be very successful. This has been my plan for years. All of a sudden, through Katie's testimony, I have realized that my plans may not be God's plans for my life. If I say yes to the things that God asks of me, my desires will fit His desires. If I go and do what He calls me to do, then my desires will fit His desires. I want nothing more than to find myself in the very center of God's will doing exactly what He asks of me with mountain moving faith. I could continue to want the "American Dream" but all of a sudden I find myself dreaming of a life that stretches me everyday; that makes me rely only on my Jesus.
This is Katie's Blog :)

Great words from a phenomenal young woman.
ReplyDeleteSo stinkin' proud of you!
ZS
Love it! Of course you will have some sad little boys when you are gone:). So proud of you.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog! So inspiring, and I am super excited to see where God leads you!
ReplyDelete